Compendium on Methodologies for SMEs Internationalization
This initiative is envisaged as a contribution to the MSMEs Marketplace established under the Iloilo Initiative. It also addresses Leader's instructions to implement the Boracay Action Agenda (BBA) and facilitate SMEs access to regional and global markets. Particularly, this initiative will achieve the Common Goals towards 2020 outlined in the BAA, where the indicators include case studies of MSMEs participation in international markets and global value chains, and the increase in internationalization activities. In addition, this compendium will add value to the existing work programme under work stream 5 of the APEC Strategic Blueprint on Global Value Chains on Assisting SMEs to Benefit from GVCs.
Actions and Objectives
To develop a compendium of APEC best practices, methodologies and successful stories on SMEs internationalization, in order to:
- exchange APEC member's policies, strategies and measures to achieve SMEs' internationalization in their economies;
- exchange private sector's initiatives on:
- MNC's programme to include MSMEs in their GVCs;
- MSMEs' own programmes to go global.
- develop a compendium of successful programs that can be used as reference tool to discuss on an APEC benchmarking methodology;
- align economies' efforts in positioning SMEs into regional and global markets.
Women own a third of small and medium-sized enterprises that operate across the APEC region. Yet, as clients of Trade Promotion Organisations (TPOs), women entrepreneurs are significantly under-represented. This toolkit highlights the challenges TPOs face in providing unbiased or gender responsive support services to women-led, owned and managed businesses. It offers a quick reference guide on what TPOs can do to support women entrepreneurs in building their export readiness and capacity to access global markets.